Curling has always been a popular sport in Markdale. The Markdale Curling Club was founded in 1922 when Thomas H. Reburn donated property on Toronto Sydenham Road (now Highway 10) for the new rink. It included a club room and a waiting room with a glass partition between it and the rink. Curling in Markdale was a mens-only sport until January of 1945, when the club invited women to the membership and they held their first Ladies Night. In 1954, artificial ice was installed and was operating by December.
In 1964, the club purchased property on Toronto Street N. and the Markdale Curling Club was built at the east end, off of Edith Street. Later that same year, Centre Grey Builders started construction of the Centre Grey Golf Course beside the curling club. The following year, the two clubs amalgamated and became the Markdale Country Club, and then eventually – The Markdale Golf & Curling Club.
Board of Directors
Jeff Wilkinson, President
Dora- Lynn Davies