Dear Curlers and Potential new curlers,
As I am writing this, it’s sunny and warm – more like summer than fall but the calendar and the leaves on the trees are telling us that it’s once again time for the upcoming curling season at the Markdale Golf and Curling Club.
Curling Registration will take place on Thursday Oct 19th between 7pm and 9pm. If you are unable to make it to the club at this time, feel free to drop by the club before Oct 15th (the end of golf season). Registrations forms are also available online – may be printed, signed and electronically returned with payments made by e-transfer as well.
Once again we are offering a “Give it Try: FREE OPEN HOUSE on Sat Nov 4th, between 2 and 4pm. Tell your friends and neighbours.
Regular league play commences Monday Nov 6th.
Club Improvement News.
- Cameras have been installed on sheets A and D… so we now have systems on all sheets
- Since 2019 we have fund-raised over $12K. This has helped pay for many of the improvements, updated equipment and expanding our pool of loaner equipment. We are looking for ideas for some new objectives for our fundraising this season. One idea is to purchase a dry-land curling set which could be loaned out to local schools and used at promotional events in the community.
The executive continues to work on improving the financial health of the club overall and this means we need your continued support. Be it by just being a member, helping recruit new members, volunteering for operational support duties or fundraising help. There can be NO club without you.
There will also be the opportunity to order any curling equipment you may require for this season. Although there is some loaner equipment, there is no promise that there will be enough to meet everyone’s needs at any given time. A catalogue and order sheets will be available at the club during the season.
- Last year we successfully changed the Monday evening league to an Open Recreational Curling mixed league. THIS LEAGUE IS MOVING TO WEDNESDAY night this year
- Our Beginner’s curling program – now a 4 week program will run on Monday night to provide instruction and coaching to new curlers. The program is free, but all participants must be a paid curling member or use one of our Pay-as-you-go 6-packs. You must enroll for this program
- NEW FRIDAY NIGHT DATE NIGHT Curling… once a month on the first Friday of the month. FIRST SESSION FRIDAY Nov 3 at 7:30 No sign-up is required and people can just pay on the evening. Cost will be $20 per person (or use a coupon or free for curling members).
- 6-packs are back – are you a snow-bird who flies south after Christmas and wants to curl in the fall, or maybe you just want to curl a few times this winter. Purchase one of our 6-packs. A coupon booklet entitling you to curl 6 games anytime this season for only $120.
Sincerely, Heather on behalf of the curling committee
Please pay at the Club by debit, Visa or Mastercard – no cash.
A Curling Membership Registration Form, will need to be signed by all members (or parents in the case of a minor).
It’s time to register for the 2023-2024 curling season! Drop into the Club in the daytime and register at the desk. We will also be offering members the option to email their registrations and payment in lieu of coming to the in-person registration event. To register by email – print, complete, and sign the Registration Form. Scan the completed forms and forward to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Payments by e-transfers should be sent to MGCCtransfers@gmail.com – Security Question: Our Winter Sport – Answer: Curling. In the comments area of your e-transfer, please state your name and type of membership(s) you are paying for (i.e. Full memberships – Wilma & Fred Flintstone). If you plan to use this method, please do so by October 7th, so we can count you in! NOTE – You can also drop off your registration form and waiver at the Club if paying by e-transfer.
If you are new to the area, or just new to curling, you can become a member at a reduced rate for the first season!! Here are some of the most popular FAQ’s for newcomers, and not so new, for curling this year!
We are hoping to run many of the same leagues as we have in the past, and we will be continuing our mixed league on Wednesday nights (at a more recreational level than our competitive evening league and open to new curlers)! Click here for the leagues schedule. Curlers with no experience are encouraged to sign up for any of our recreational leagues. Also this year we are offering a 4 week “Learn to Curl” program on Monday nights and a “Give it a Try for Free” session on Saturday, November 4, 2023 from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. On your registration form, we kindly ask that you indicate which league(s) you are interested in, so we can ensure we have enough curlers to run any particular league.
It takes a village…
We are continuing to look for volunteers. Our volunteers do things like run registration; help prepare the Club for the season; prepare and communicate curling rules; assist with regular cleaning routines; assist with ice making and routine ice maintenance; handle equipment sales; and, organize a few learning and small social events. Anyone interested may contact Heather Miner (email@example.com) or the Club.